Fully Managed Couchbase Server DBaaS Allows Customers to Only Pay for What They Need with the Highest Performing, Lowest TCO Solution on the Market
SANTA CLARA, Calif., June 30, 2020 – Couchbase, the creator of the enterprise-class, multicloud to edge NoSQL database, today announced the general availability of Couchbase Cloud, its award-winning, fully-managed Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS). Couchbase Cloud is initially available on Amazon Web Services (AWS) with support for Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform available by year-end.
The quickly evolving economy is accelerating digital transformation in almost every organization, bringing equal parts opportunity and cost control pressure to IT. Couchbase Cloud helps organizations capitalize on both goals through its:
- Versatility and performance of Couchbase Server, combined with emerging best practice of in-virtual private cloud (VPC) deployment on AWS, which allow customers to dramatically lower operational costs of traditional deployments without giving up critical control over data and security
- “Single pane of glass” control plane for multicloud management and cross data center replication (XDCR), making it even more simple to manage and deploy multiple clusters across clouds in multiple regions
- Transparent, customer-friendly configuration and licensing that combine with the software’s best-in-class, node-for-node performance to deliver exceptionally low TCO for the generation of applications that serve today’s online-only user communities
The Power and Versatility of Couchbase Server
Couchbase Server is the original multi-purpose NoSQL database that inspired the evolution of competitive, yet still incomplete, platforms such as MongoDB Cloud Platform. Couchbase Server combines the high-performance, memory-first architecture of key-value stores with its SQL-friendly query language, robust developer SDKs, schema-flexible JSON format, all deployed as an elastically-scaling, ACID compliant, globally replicating cluster architecture. Couchbase Cloud combines this power and versatility to allow customers to support an array of highly available applications and use cases such as online session caching, user profiles and catalog management for retailers, media content providers and enterprises that must adapt to our new, online-only world.
Emerging best-practice of In-AWS VPC deployment: Control your data and AWS Infrastructure
In-AWS deployment uses Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS) to deploy and manage Couchbase software directly within the customers’ cloud accounts, allowing tight performance-matching of the database to its underlying infrastructure, affording customers the same degree of control they enjoyed when running their own data centers, yet at a fraction of the cost. This deployment technique offers customers complete control over:
- AWS best-practice security policies and data sovereignty preferences
- Data movement costs
- AWS EC2 instance selection
- Configuration of instances per cluster
- Application of negotiated AWS discounts they have earned to their account, not ours.
Control Couchbase cluster configurations via a single, omniscient control plane
Couchbase Cloud deployments are managed by its Control Plane, which provides DevOps administrators relief in overseeing global deployments by providing:
- Automated oversight of elastic scaling, upgrades, availability, monitoring & alerts across all clusters and all clouds
- Fine-grained control using Multidimensional Scaling (MDS) to performance-match application workloads to its Couchbase services to their underlying AWS instances to optimize resource consumption
Control cloud data movement with Cross Datacenter Replication (XDCR)
Through its XDCR capability, Couchbase Cloud enables global, filtered replication of cluster contents to any cluster location, enabling customers to support data sovereignty requirements and:
- Automatically manage data migration, backup, disaster recovery to & from hybrid clouds, and intra-region for GDPR & other regulations
- Avoid CSP vendor lock-in with the ability to replicate data to Azure & GCP when available
The convergence of raw performance power and transparent policies combine to create the lowest TCO available for NoSQL DBaaS
Couchbase Cloud delivers exceptional value by keeping operational costs elastic and as low as possible. This is due to the convergence of Couchbase policies and the performance of Couchbase Server, which is well documented for node-for-node performance advantages over competitors. Public and private benchmarks have measured Couchbase performing 2 to 20 times faster than competitive offerings on like-for-like infrastructures, and MDS allows deployments to performance-match workloads to their infrastructure nodes. Consequently, Couchbase Cloud enables customers to dramatically lower IaaS resource spending over alternatives.
Couchbase combines performance advantage with highly transparent licensing policies that allow customers to construct their own cost comparisons and make clear choices. Benefits include:
- Hourly or pre-paid credits with no minimum monthly limits
- No margin-stacking by hiding IaaS within subscription
- Customer configures & grows IaaS at the pace of dev/test/production/growth phases
- 20%+ discount of pre-paid credits combined with 75%+ discounts for AWS reserved instances in private offer billing
- Choice of SLA-levels per cluster with Developer Pro & Enterprise options, saving over 35% with relaxed SLAs
- Avoiding cloud service provider lock-in from using vendor specific applications
Couchbase Cloud makes its debut on AWS today and is available immediately as a 30-day trial, which runs inside the customer’s AWS account. It is offered in two packages, Developer Pro and Enterprise, which offer differentiated service level guarantees for development and testing needs versus business-critical support for production systems. Support for Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform will be available by year end. For more information visit https://couchbase.com/cloud
“There is no equal to Couchbase Cloud. It has the best pricing and performance we have seen from a DBaaS offering. By switching to Couchbase Cloud, we reduced cost by 10x and increased performance by 100x.”
— Scott Bradley, Principal Engineer, Facet Digital
“The need to optimize costs while also improving agility and innovation is accelerating enterprise adoption of cloud and as-a-service offerings. However, for many there are still factors that inhibit that move, from losing control of data sovereignty to being forced into price points and service levels that prevent cost optimization. With Couchbase Cloud, our goal is to break down those barriers, giving customers the same control of data and costs as they would have in their own datacenter, and allowing them to take full advantage of the cloud’s potential for supporting innovation and agile development on their own terms.”
— Scott Anderson, SVP, Product Management & Business Operations, Couchbase
“Couchbase is widely recognized as the most powerful and versatile NoSQL database available in the market today. As Enterprises accelerate their cloud adoption plans, Couchbase Cloud now offers them the opportunity to transform their businesses at a reduced TCO and without losing control of their data,” said Couchbase President and CEO Matt Cain. “With more enterprises than ever migrating to both NoSQL databases and cloud deployments, we will continue to expand our cloud-native product portfolio and continue the momentum that has seen more than 500 enterprises, including over 30% of the Fortune 100, rely on the Couchbase NoSQL database.”
— Matt Cain, President and CEO, Couchbase
Unlike other NoSQL databases, Couchbase provides an enterprise-class, multicloud to edge database that offers the robust capabilities required for business-critical applications on a highly scalable and available platform. As a distributed cloud-native database, Couchbase runs in modern dynamic environments and on any cloud, either customer-managed or fully managed as-a-service. Couchbase is built on open standards, combining the best of NoSQL with the power and familiarity of SQL, to simplify the transition from mainframe and relational databases.
Couchbase has become pervasive in our everyday lives; our customers include industry leaders Amadeus, American Express, Carrefour, Cisco, Comcast/Sky, Disney, eBay, LinkedIn, Marriott, Tesco, Tommy Hilfiger, United, Verizon, as well as hundreds of other household names. For more information, visit www.couchbase.com.